Saturday, August 19, 2006

Aaron Sorkin Returns to Prime Time

About a month or so ago, video clips from Aaron Sorkin's and Thomas Schlamme's new show for NBC ("Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip,") began to appear on the Internet.

The first 2 minutes and 15 seconds of this trailer is a thrill. If only that was the show they were bringing to weekly network television. Because after that first couple of minutes, it becomes the same tired, formula that was the last two years of "West Wing":



I have sorely missed Judd Hirsch on network television, but I'm guessing that his appearance is a one-shot deal. With the exception of Timothy Busfield (who can walk through any soundstage and raise the ratings), the rest of the cast is just okay. I like some better than others; it's an awfully studied (contrived) collection of second stringers for an ensemble cast. Where's the age range? I just don't see Brad Whitford (after Judd Hirsch, the oldest member of the cast) and Matthew Perry as a team, as partners, carrying this show.

But today is Matthew Perry's birthday (and who won't forever love Chanandeler Bhong?), so I'm stifle my doubts. As much as I am ever able to.

Watch for the premiere, September 18th.


No comments: